Thursday 13 April 2017

Truth-or-Dare


Truth or dare
A game I loved.
My eyes closed
I opt for a dare

And as if unwittingly the other person 
Reading my mind 
Lays out a dare.

I place a hand over my chest
My heart beating wildly
As if a hundred horses are galloping all at once.

I walk up to him
To look into those coffee brown eyes and utter the magical words. 
To tell him, I saw him in my dreams last night
His face lingered around long after I woke up.
To tell him I snatch every bit of conversation I hear about him
In corridors, in public parks and in local libraries
To tell him I even know about the faded mole he carries in his left palm, 
Unobtrusive from the rest of the world but not a secret to me anymore. 
To tell him about every shrinking detail I have of him in my memory.

He sings a tune, my favourite too.
A long legged girl walks up from behind 
They share a kiss
She cocooned in his bear hug.

I wish to melt away
Instead, I withdraw, slowly and silently

The ‘Dare’ wilting away like a forgotten summer rose
The ‘Truth’ left hovering between my lips.

Truth or Dare
A game I will never ever play.






No comments:

Post a Comment

HITCHHIKE

The other day I was late to class. My jaw dropped in relief on realising that the professor had not turned up. In...